Mar 25, 2008

the nazi pilot and the little prince...

(NY Daily News) A 64-year-old French and German mystery now has a sprinkling of Greek tragedy: An ace Nazi World War II pilot learned that one of his 28 kills was also his favorite writer.

Horst Rippert, now 88, says he only just found out that the P-38 he says he shot down on July 31, 1944, over the Mediterranean was piloted by Antoine de Saint Exupery, best known as the author of the classic "The Little Prince."

"If I had known it was Saint Exupery, I would never have shot him down," Rippert told the Daily Mail. "I loved his books. He was probably my favorite author at the time.
"I am shocked and sorry. Who knows what other great books he would have gone on to write?"

...interestingly, Antoine's plane wreckage which was found off the coast of Marseille in 2004, showed traces of neither shooting nor aerial combat.

1 comment:

Menudo said...

didn't we read "the little prince" in str with karcher?